Learn more about the measures of occupation-related physical activity across selected CLOSER studies
For background detail on this domain of physical activity, click here.
Occupational activity is the most sparsely measured domain in the studies covered by this guide, with data collected only across NSHD and NCDS from ages 33-55y. These measures are listed in the table below. Participants in both studies reported on a number of work-related activities in which they regularly engaged, including sitting, standing, taking stairs, walking, and moving/pushing heavy objects.
NCDS 33y asks about general physical activity at work (“how much physical effort is involved in your job”) while NSHD 36y asks about frequency of specific activities (“Time spent a) sitting b) walking, c) lifting during course of work”), although both use the same response options (none, a little, some, a lot)).
NSHD 43y and NCDS 44y ask questions similar about activities engaged in at work (NSHD: “At work do you regularly do any heavy lifting, carrying, or digging or other strenuous activities?”; NCDS: “Have you done each activity at work in the last year?”) and the included activities can be compared (NSHD: heavy lifting and carrying objects, NCDS: moving/pushing heavy objects).
[table id=271 /]
Explore the other domains of physical activity & the comparability of measurements across studies:
- Summary of cross-study comparisons
- Leisure time physical activity
- Active travel
- Domestic activities
- Sedentary behaviour
Learn more about the studies covered by this guide and their measurement of physical activity:
- 1946 National Survey of Health and Development (NSHD)
- 1958 National Child Development Study (NCDS)
- 1970 British Cohort Study (BCS70)
- Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC)
- Millennium Cohort Study (MCS)
- Understanding Society: The UK Household Longitudinal Study (UKHLS)
- Acknowledgements and copyright information for this guide
- References for this guide
- Download the full guide as a PDF
- Electronic appendix: Index of all documented measures
This page is part of the CLOSER resource: ‘Physical activity across age and study: a guide to data in six CLOSER studies’.