Organised by the UCL Centre for Longitudinal Studies, this consultation is seeking input into the scientific direction and design of a new study, testing the feasibility of a new birth cohort study for the UK.
The feasibility study is led by Professors Pasco Fearon, Alissa Goodman, and Lisa Calderwood, in collaboration with an experienced group of co-investigators from across the UK.
The discussion in the morning will include break-out into scientific working groups. CLS would value delegates’ input in the scientific themes corresponding to your expertise. Delegates will be asked to choose which two scientific themes they will join when registering for the meeting.
In the afternoon, the meeting will break-out into working groups again, this time about ensuring an inclusive cohort, and delegates will be asked to select one working group when registering. The afternoon will also entail plenary discussion on key features of the study design.
Outline of the agenda
Please see below for a preliminary outline of the agenda.
Part 1 Scientific purpose
09:15-09.35Welcome talk (Pasco Fearon)
09:45-10:35 Scientific parallel session 1:
- Cognitive, social, and emotional development of infants
- Infant-parent relationships, and the early home environment
- Infant health, including growth, nutrition and sleep
- Mental health of parents and the developing child
- Social, environmental and neighbourhood influences on infant and family
- Inequality, disadvantage, and social mobility in the new cohort
- Genomics, early adversity and biological embedding of stress
10:35-10:50 Refreshment break
10:50-11:40 Scientific parallel session 2: (groups as above)
11:40-12:00: Brief recap from each working group Chair, and CLOSE
Part 2 : Creating an inclusive cohort, and study design
14:00-14:20 Welcome talk (Alissa Goodman)
14:25-15:00 Creating an inclusive cohort parallel session:
- Ethnic diversity and immigrant families
- Fathers and partners
- Vulnerable children, including born into care
- Diverse families
- Pre-term, and sick neo-nates
15:00-15:20 Recap and plenary discussion
15:20-15:30 Refreshment break
15:30-16:15 Key aspects of the study design (presentation and discussion led by Lisa Calderwood)
Further information and registration
This event is free to attend, but registration is essential. The event will take place on Microsoft Teams.
For further information about this event and the consultation, please visit the CLS event page.