CLOSER Discovery is a search engine that allows researchers to explore the content of eight leading UK longitudinal studies. This session provided social science researchers with a full demonstration of how to use this innovative new resource for research.
About the session
CLOSER Discovery is an innovative new search engine that enables researchers to explore the content of eight leading UK longitudinal studies. It is the most detailed and sophisticated search tool of its kind.
CLOSER Discovery allows researchers to access detailed information about what, when and how data have been collected more quickly and easily than ever before.
This session provided social science researchers with a full demonstration of how to use this innovative new resource for research.
The session covered:
- Introduction to CLOSER Discovery – a full demonstration of how to search for variables and other information of interest, and a tour of the search engine’s functions and features
- Coming soon – a short overview on what is coming next for CLOSER Discovery, including updates of content and improved functionality
- Special data available – a short summary of genetic, harmonised and linked data available in the CLOSER studies
- Q & A – an opportunity for users to ask questions and provide feedback, including ideas on new features you would like to see in the future
CLOSER Discovery provides a detailed catalogue of data from the following studies:
- Hertfordshire Cohort Study
- MRC National Survey of Health and Development
- 1958 National Child Development Study
- 1970 British Cohort Study
- Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children
- Southampton Women’s Survey
- Millennium Cohort Study
- Understanding Society
Speakers: Will Poynter, CLOSER Technical Manager and head of the metadata enhancement team behind Discovery, and Meghan Rainsberry, CLOSER Communications Manager.
Access the CLOSER Discovery search engine: www.discovery.closer.ac.uk